Friday, January 23, 2009

January

I am reading a beautiful little book, by Karel Capek, "the year of the gardener". About January, it says that "not even January is a period of inactivity", no, because the winemaker is cultivating time.
It is true. We just pruned a couple of days ago, and this is the real start of the new season.
A part of me is looking at the new bald vineyard, all to be, and another one is tasting the Martino 2007, almost ready to be bottled, with a little bit of anxiety: did he receive enough wood? Or is it too much? In a way is like when you are pregnant, at the end: an instinct that wants to keep the baby inside, not to come out...you can call it fear! Then I have the 2008, still very young, in the stainless steel tank. I tasted it two days ago and it is very fruity. Let's hope that doesn't lose this caracter.
But these are just moments, and time goes fast. It is still full winter, but there is already something springy in the air, maybe the light.
Luckily there is Paolo. I would like to add something that I found on internet about Martino's enologist, Paolo Caciorgna, and share it with you:
"The Thrills of a flavour - and a plan"
I believe in Italy's vineyards. These words sum up my philosophy and my approach to wine. The vineyard expresses the fragrance and flavour of the soil and of the sun; it expresses the soul of the people who live in a certain place, their wisdom, their culture, their traditions, their history".
Thank you Joanne for translating this for me.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Buonconvento, Siena, Italy
I just love where I live and I want everybody to be happy when they come!